UW sponsorship of H-1B visas is strictly limited to certain appointment titles only. Eligible jobs must be full-time and paid a UW salary that meets the Department of Labor’s wage requirements. The foreign beneficiary must be fully-qualified for the job at the time the petition is filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Without exception, H-1B petitions based on offers of UW employment are processed through International Scholars Operations (ISO) on behalf of the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel.

Due to lengthy processing times, H-1B visa requests should be submitted to ISO as early as 7 months prior to the employment start date.

H-1B is often an appropriate visa classification for full-time UW-salaried academic personnel, including:

  • Postdoctoral Scholars who graduated from U.S. schools or who are currently working in the U.S.
    • Graduates of US schools must exhaust their eligibility for Optional Practical Training before changing status to H-1B
    • J-1 Exchange Visitors must exhaust their 5 years of J-1 eligibility before changing status to H-1B
  • Acting Instructors
  • Lecturers and Senior Lecturers
  • Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and Professors, including appointments that are in the Research or Teaching Tracks or are designated as Acting or Clinical

UW personnel who do not qualify for H-1B sponsorship include:

  • Visiting Scientists and Visiting Scholars
  • Postdoctoral Scholars coming to the UW from overseas
  • Graduates of foreign medical schools with patient care responsibilities who cannot show evidence of successful completion of USMLE step 3 or equivalent as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services
  • Graduates of foreign medical schools participating in UW residency and clinical fellowship programs (except in rare circumstances)
  • Residents in Pharmacy, Dentistry, Comparative Medicine and similar programs
  • Current or former J-1 Exchange Visitors subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement
  • UW Professional staff
  • UW Classified staff (except Research Technologists when it can be shown that no US workers are available and the only qualified candidate is a foreign national residing in the U.S.—contact an HR Employment Specialist before pursuing H-1B sponsorship for a Research Technologist)

Please contact ISO if you have questions about H-1B sponsorship or would like to explore other visa options.