Skip to content

H-1B temporary workers

The H-1B visa permits temporary employment in “specialty occupations” which require “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge to fully perform the occupation.” The H-1B is employer-specific, job-specific, and location-specific.

The UW sponsors H-1B visas for full-time academic jobs including postdoctoral researchers and professors.

Please direct any questions about visa sponsorship to the International Scholars Operations (ISO) team.

Without exception, all H-1B visas based on UW employment are processed by ISO. Only the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel has authority to sign immigration-related documents or applications on behalf of the UW. Outside attorneys are not permitted to represent the UW’s interests in immigration matters.

For more information on H-1B sponsorship at UW, see our H-1B content for unit administrators.

Ending H-1B Employment

Because the H-1B is an “employment-based visa,” your lawful status in the U.S. ends when your paid employment ends. If your paid employment ends before your I-797 Approval Notice expires, you may be eligible for a discretionary grace period of up to 60 days. That grace period could allow you to change status or move to another employer. You should consult with a private immigration attorney for more information.

If paid employment and the I-797 Approval Notice end at the same time, check the expiration date on your paper I-94 card as it may indicate an additional 10-day “grace period” for departure.