Skip to content

Reporting requirements and ending TN employment

On-Leave Status

A TN has lawful visa status in the U.S. only when maintaining paid employment. Before approving an unpaid leave for an employee in TN status, contact International Scholars Operations (ISO).

Outside Professional Work

UW employees in TN status may occasionally give lectures at other institutions or conferences. They cannot receive honoraria or other monetary or material gain for such activities, although reimbursement for travel and reasonable expenses is allowed.

Change of Title and/or Academic Department

The TN classification is job-specific and cannot generally be transferred to another job or department on campus without sponsoring a new TN. See: How to sponsor a TN.


Upon termination from the UW, the TN beneficiary is expected to depart the U.S. immediately. A grace period of up to 60 days may be available from the Department of Homeland Security, but is not automatic or guaranteed. If the TN worker is interested in this grace period, they should contact a private immigration attorney to discuss.

Change of Employer or Multiple Employers

It is possible for a TN to change employers or even work with multiple employers simultaneously. However, all employment must be authorized in advance by either U.S. Customs and Border Protection or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. See: How to sponsor a TN.