Skip to content


Information on OAP’s compensation pages applies to academic personnel at the University of Washington. Any discrepancies between guidance provided in this section and University governing documents (e.g., UW Faculty Code, Librarian Personnel Code, collective bargaining agreements) are unintentional and the governing documents prevail. For general questions about base compensation, contact your Academic HR specialist.

Review the payroll calendar for compensation-related key dates and approval information. Visit Employee Workday Help for information about deductions, taxes, and benefits.

Forms and Templates

Retention Salary Adjustment Request

Related Employee Workday Help User Guide

Request Compensation Change-Academic Personnel

Base Compensation Types

General Salary

This compensation type is used when a base salary is paid by the University of Washington. This is the most common compensation type at UW.

Paid Direct (PDR)

This compensation type is used when UW personnel receive all or part of their salary directly from an outside employer who has a formal relationship with the University of Washington (e.g., Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the Veterans Administration, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and the U.S. military). PDR is not considered UW compensation.

Practice Plan

This salary type is used when UW academic personnel, affiliated with the UW Physicians or Children’s University Medical Groups, receive compensation for billable work conducted in a clinical setting.


A stipend payment is used to fund trainees/learners at the University of Washington. For more information about this pay type, visit Employee Workday Help’s Stipend Payments Explanation web page.