Skip to content

TD: family of the TN

The TN beneficiary’s dependents (spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age) are eligible for TD (Trade Dependent) status.

Note: Although the spouse and children of TN employees usually enter as TDs, they are not required to do so. They may enter in other visa classifications for which they qualify, such as F-1, J-1, TN, or H-1B. (Other family members, including domestic partners, are not eligible for TD status but may enter and reside in the U.S. as B-2 visitors.) However, International Scholars Operations (ISO) cannot provide information about non-UW-sponsored visas.

A family member currently residing in the U.S. can obtain or extend TD status either by departure and reentry to the U.S. or by filing Form I-539. Dependents who are not Canadian citizens must apply for TD visas at a U.S. consulate.


See Fees page for more details.