Border crossing fees
Canadian citizens entering the US to begin TN status, or re-entering the US to begin another three years in TN status, must pay a US $56 customs fee at the border. Mexican citizens entering the US to begin TN status, or re-entering the US to begin another three years in TN status, must pay a $131 visa application processing fee.
TN extension fees
If International Scholars Operations (ISO) files a Form I-129 with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to extend a TN’s status, a check payable to the “US Department of Homeland Security” in the amount of $460 is required.
Premium Processing is an option to expedite the I-129 petition. The fee is an additional $1,225, paid by the employing department. This fee must be paid using a separate check from the $325 fee mentioned above.
It is the responsibility of the hiring department to pay the I-129 and optional premium processing fees on behalf of the TN beneficiary. To request checks through UW payables Administration:
- Prepare Check Request Form 1570 and allow two weeks for processing
- On line 1 of the 1570, enter “US Department of Homeland Security”
- On line 2, enter “TN fees”
- Use “object code” 03-29
- Use the TN’s last name and first name as the invoice number
- Send completed check requests to: Financial Services Tax Reporting Desk, Box 351120, along with a self-addressed campus-mail envelope
- Forward the check(s) to ISO along with the other supporting documentation
ISO will send the checks with the I-129 petition to USCIS. DO NOT send the checks directly to USCIS.
Departments are charged a processing fee of $213, payable by cost transfer invoice (CTI), for each TN extension processed through ISO. Departments may not seek reimbursement of the processing fee from the TN beneficiary. Budget documentation will be sent to the Budget Contact listed on the UW H Visa Request Form. The processing fee is in addition to fee(s) paid to the “US Department of Homeland Security.”