Many faculty jobs at the University of Washington require a terminal degree, the generally accepted highest degree in a field of study. While a doctorate is the terminal degree in most fields of study, it may differ for other disciplines. Note that degrees awarded by foreign institutions may have different titles, but could be equivalent to one of these terminal degrees. Check with the appropriate school/college or department to verify which degrees are considered terminal.

Typical Terminal Degrees:

  • Ph.D.
  • M.D.
  • D.D.S.
  • D.D.M.
  • D.V.M.
  • J.D.
  • M.F.A.
  • M.Arch