Skip to content

Additional compensation

Additional compensation may be appropriate for a variety of reasons including administrative duties and temporary additional responsibilities. All additional compensation must be processed through Workday and approved by Academic HR (AHR) or UWHR and Finance, Planning & Budget. The request should be approved before the recipient engages in the activity associated with the additional compensation. Below are descriptions of the most frequently used types of additional compensation.

Administrative Supplements (ADS)

Administrative supplements (ADS) may be appropriate for academic personnel who are assigned administrative duties that are typically role-based (instead of project-based), associated with an ongoing need, and that tend to transfer from person to person over time. ADSs may be associated with a formal administrative appointment that requires Board of Regents approval (e.g., chair or dean) or with an administrative assignment that doesn’t require an administrative appointment (e.g., Graduate Program Director).

Prior to submitting an ADS request in Workday, first determine whether a formal administrative appointment is required.

If a formal administrative appointment is required, initiate the Add Academic Appointment Track business process to set up the administrative appointment and remember to set the anticipated administrative appointment end date. Once the Add Academic Appointment Track business process is initiated, submit a Request Compensation Change-Academic Personnel to request an ADS.

Newly-awarded administrative appointments will not be approved in Workday until the associated ADS compensation change has been approved.

If an administrative appointment is not required, initiate a Request Compensation Change-Academic Personnel business process in Workday to request an ADS.

Each ADS request, including requests to change an existing ADS, must include the basic information included in the template below. Complete the template and copy it into the Comments field of the Request Compensation Change-Academic Personnel business process. (Incomplete requests will be sent back to the initiator):

  • Administrative title
  • ADS effective date (If significantly retroactive, include justification)
  • Proposed monthly amount
  • New ADS for the recipient or change to their existing ADS?
  • If changing an ADS, what is the current amount?
  • Brief description of duties OR rationale for changing existing ADS:
  • If this role existed before, who was the previous holder AND what was their ADS amount?
  • What is the type of funding source? Does the funding source allow for an ADS?
  • List any other active administrative roles and ADS amounts associated with the recipient:
  • Has the recipient been informed in writing that the administrative assignment and ADS at will and may terminate at any time? (Y or N)

Dentistry Practice Plan Allowance (DPP)

A DPP allowance may be appropriate for faculty in the School of Dentistry who engage in on-campus clinical work. DPPs are based on billable hours worked, and processed directly within the School of Dentistry.

Endowed Supplement

An endowed supplement may be appropriate for academic personnel under the terms of a specific endowment agreement. In most cases, but not always, the ENS recipient will also hold an endowed appointment. To process these types of payments, refer to the Request Compensation Change-Academic Personnel user guide.

Period Activity Pay

Period activity pay may be appropriate for academic personnel who provide services and/or engage in activities on a temporary basis that exceed or fall outside the unit’s standard workload assignment. See the Excess Compensation page for details about that pay type. Review the relevant Employee Workday Help user guide for details on how to enter these in Workday.

Note: Professional staff are allowed to teach a class for academic credit one time per year (July 1 – June 30), while remaining at 100% FTE as pro staff and being paid a temporary supplement. They must have an appropriate faculty appointment, usually lecturer part-time. If the faculty appointment will exceed one class, it is expected the professional staff member will reduce their FTE percentage to accommodate a faculty job.

Relocation Incentive

A lump sum relocation incentive payment may be used to help recruit a qualified candidate to an academic appointment or staff position. For more information on relocation incentive payments for academic personnel, visit the OAP Recruitment web section.

Summer Compensation (9-Month Academic Personnel only)

Faculty with a 9-month service period are not expected to work during the summer months, but may do so with unit approval. UW faculty do not accrue vacation time, and those who choose to work continuously throughout all 3 summer months do so voluntarily and forfeit summer time off. Units should inform faculty of the forfeiture in the summer employment offer letter.