Excess compensation is designed to pay faculty for services provided outside normal duties. Typically it is for service performed on a one-time-only basis such as a lecture or workshop.
- Excess compensation payments cannot exceed 25 percent of the total full-time rate per month. Faculty/professional staff may earn up to a total of 125 percent per month. Paying units should establish authorization with the faculty/professional staff member’s home department prior to engaging in service.
- Excess compensation cannot be paid for teaching a regularly scheduled class available for academic credit.
- Faculty are not eligible to receive excess compensation for direct service on a research grant or from research grant funds.
- Excess compensation should be paid within 90 days of completion of service.
- Retired faculty must hold an active (either Emeritus or Retiree) job to receive excess compensation. Excess compensation is calculated into the total 40-percent annual maximum earnings for all retired faculty members.
- Excess compensation may be paid to 9-month faculty during summer if the total distribution equals 100 percent.
- Faculty are not eligible to receive excess compensation while on paid sick leave or paid professional leave.
- Excess compensation may not be paid to classified staff or professional staff level I.
Entering the Right Information into Payroll
It is expected that the working time of University faculty is to be devoted to the duties which may be assigned them by the University. Every effort shall be made to schedule all University-related faculty work as a part of normal duties. Excess compensation to University faculty for work not represented by regular salary may be paid only under exceptional circumstances, and must be approved in advance by the dean/chancellor. In no case shall such additional compensation exceed 25 percent of a faculty member’s regular monthly salary in any month. This limitation shall apply to compensation for all University services, except that excess pay for direct services on research grants or contracts is not permissible.
Please contact the ISC for appropriate procedures to pay excess compensation or exception time for staff.