Getting Settled

The administrators in your local department or unit will provide you with important details related to your new appointment, including office space, computers, phones, etc. We have assembled a New Hire Checklist to help ensure that you have all the resources necessary to settle in to your new environment. Please review this checklist and check with your local administrator if you have any questions.

There are a few points of interest that we feel are important enough to warrant repetition.

Payroll Title

You can obtain your payroll title and Employee ID number from your payroll coordinator or other administrative staff.

You need to know your payroll title to:

  • Determine your benefits eligibility
  • Understand the UW policies applicable to your employment

You need to know your Employee ID number (EID) to:

NOTE: The policies described in this online orientation apply to all Faculty and Academic staff, with the exception of Residents (payroll title = 0328 or 0329) and Fellows (payroll title = 0444). Information for Residents and Fellows is available from Graduate Medical Education and UW Human Resources.

Husky Card

Your Husky Card is your official UW faculty identification card. You must obtain your Husky Card in person at one of five Husky Card Account Offices located on the UW Seattle campus, UW Bothell campus, UW Tacoma campus, UW Medical Center campus, or Harborview Medical Center campus. Please bring your Employee ID number and a state or federally issued photo ID, such as license or passport. Be prepared to have your picture taken prior to the issue of your ID.

You can add money to your Husky Card Account for use in local restaurants, vending machines, and campus stores. There are many uses for your Husky Card, including but not limited to:

UW NetID and UW Email Account

Your UW NetID is:

  • Your personal identification for accessing your UW personal information and other online services, including UW Email, MyUW, and central administrative applications.
    • MyUW provides access to Employee Self-Service, also known as ESS, to sign up for payroll direct deposit. ESS also provides you with the ability to view personal information about yourself online.
  • The first part of your UW Email address:

You can complete the “Get Your UW NetID” process yourself online or by asking your payroll coordinator or other administrative staff for assistance.

NOTE: In order to get your UW NetID and UW Email, you must know your EID (and Private Access Code (PAC), if you’ve been issued one).

You can read more about UW NetIDs and UW Email on the IT Connect website.


MyUW is your personal portal to University of Washington information. It is an easy-to-use tool for finding the resources you need to fulfill your goals at the University. You can customize MyUW by including or excluding the services you see listed, adding bookmarks to your favorite links, and choosing the background and accent colors you prefer. Click in to MyUW and use your UW NetID and password to log on.

If you need assistance, ask your local computer support staff or contact UW Technology via email, or call 206-543-5970.

Additional Resources