Leave Without Pay

You may apply for a full or partial leave of absence without pay (LWO). Requests are approved for up to one academic year at a time for a maximum of two consecutive years. Whenever possible, submit your request to your unit chair/director at least 30 calendar days before your leave begins. You will be notified whether or not your request is approved.

To request LWO, complete the Request for Leave Without Pay form.

When requesting LWO, select one of the following leave purposes:

Extended Medical Leave

If you have exhausted your Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitlement and/or paid sick leave, you may request LWO.  At the end of the leave, you must obtain a release for work from your healthcare provider and submit it to Academic Human Resources (AHR) prior to your eligibility to return to work.  You may contact the Disability Services Office if you are seeking a reasonable accommodation.

Outside Professional Work for Compensation

You may be required under certain conditions to request LWO to perform work outside the University.

Parental Leave (Non-Medical)

Your unit may require that parental leave be taken in one continuous period of time away from work. Parental leave must be taken within 12 months of the child’s birth or adoption, or placement into foster care with the employee. For other leaves without pay, the unit will determine if intermittent working or working on a reduced schedule will be allowed.

Leave for Personal Reasons

You may request full or partial leave to fulfill family obligations or to pursue personal interests.

Maintaining Benefits

Contact the Benefits Office for more information about maintaining your health care benefits while on a leave of absence without pay.

Additional Resources