Your dependents (spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age) are eligible for TD (Trade Dependent) status. Although the spouse and children of TN employees usually enter as TDs, they are not required to do so. They may enter in other visa classifications for which they qualify, such as F-1, J-1, TN, or H-1B. Dependents who are not Canadian citizens must apply for TD visas at a U.S. consulate.

Domestic partners are not eligible for TD status but may enter and reside temporarily in the U.S. as visitors. Visitors are not permitted to work or study.

TD Employment

TD status prohibits employment in the U.S.

Study in TD Status

There is no restriction on study for persons in TD status.