The I-94 Arrival/Departure Record is an important document for any foreign national in the U.S. on a temporary visa, including H-1B, J-1, E-3, and TN visas.

It lists the entry date, port of entry, and visa status in which the scholar was admitted, and how long they were admitted for. The I-94 record may be required for I-9 employment verification and other official purposes.

Any scholar who comes through an air or sea port into the U.S. will receive a stamp in their passport and an electronic I-94 record. Scholars who come through a border crossing from Mexico or Canada will receive a paper I-94 card, which the Customs and Border Protection officer will staple into their passport. Scholars who have not left the U.S. since 2013 may only have a paper I-94 card as proof of their most recent entry.

Accessing Your I-94 Record and Travel History

You should access and print your electronic I-94 record, check that the details on it are correct, and keep it for your records every time you enter the United States. As soon as you are admitted or readmitted to the U.S., you should visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website and follow the instructions to get a copy of your I-94 record. This should be kept with other immigration documents. You can also access a Customs and Border Protection travel history showing your dates of exit from and entry to the U.S.; however, this record may not reflect all exits and entries.

ISO is not responsible for accessing or printing electronic I-94 records.

Addressing Mistakes on Your Electronic I-94 Record

Sometimes the customs officer may make an error on your electronic I-94 record. Some errors, especially those regarding visa type or “admit until date” (date of expiration), can be harmful to your immigration status. If you see an error on your electronic I-94 record, it may be possible to have it corrected. Contact ISO immediately to talk to an advisor.

International Travel and the I-94 Record

If you have a paper I-94 card, that card will be removed from your passport when you exit the country to go overseas, unless you are traveling to Canada, Mexico, or most islands in the Caribbean.

A new I-94 record will be issued when you reenter the country. If you have an electronic I-94 record, your departure information will be collected by the U.S. government from airline manifests; under these circumstances, nothing will be collected from you. If you have an electronic I-94 record, but leave the U.S. by a border crossing, Customs and Border Protection recommends that you maintain other proof of your exit for your immigration records.

For more information about the electronic I-94, check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.