Separation and Resignation


A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity. Normally such resignations should be given at least three months prior to the termination date, or within 15 days of notification of terms of a reappointment, whichever occurs later, and should ordinarily become effective at the end of an academic year.

For a permanent faculty separation the unit should forward to Academic Human Resources the original or a copy of the letter of resignation stating the following:

  • Reason for Leaving
  • Official Resignation Date
  • If New Place of Employment:
    • Name of New Employer
    • What Title Will be Held
    • Location

When you receive a resignation, either written or verbal, please acknowledge the resignation in writing within fifteen (15) days.

Non-Renewal/Denial of Tenure

If a faculty member submits an application for tenure and that application is denied, the dean shall notify the individual in writing that the appointment will terminate at the end of the succeeding academic year.

If a tenure decision is postponed for reconsideration, the assistant professor’s dean shall cause him or her to be notified in writing that the appointment will terminate at the end of the second succeeding academic year unless reconsideration in the meantime shall have resulted in the granting of tenure.

For a non-renewal or denial of tenure/promotion, a copy of the dean’s/chancellor’s letter must be sent to Academic Human Resources. When the unit receives a copy of the letter stating non-renewal or denial it may be entered online.

Resigning and Remaining as Affiliate/Clinical Faculty

Faculty who do resign but are offered and accept a position to remain as affiliate or clinical courtesy faculty must follow the above procedures for resignation. The unit then follows the same procedure for the new clinical/affiliate title as those of a new appointment. This includes the faculty vote, chair/director’s recommendation, dean’s/chancellor’s approval. The payroll system¬†entry for the resignation of the permanent faculty position must have the separation code indicated.

Additional Resources