The academic titles listed below require reappointment. A department must submit a reappointment recommendation, either positive or negative, for:
- Acting Professorial Appointments
- Acting Instructor
- Adjunct Appointments
- Affiliate Appointments
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor without Tenure
- Clinical Appointments – Courtesy and Salaried
- Clinical Appointments – Dental Pathway
- Lecturer, full-time
- Lecturer, full-time, competitive recruitment
- Research Assistant Professor
- Research Associate Professor
- Research Professor
- Senior Artist-in-Residence
- Senior Lecturer, full-time
- Teaching Associate
- Visiting Appointments
*For more information please see the Academic Titles and Ranks page.
The year and quarter in which a reappointment recommendation is due depends upon the title, the term of appointment, and the number of years appointed in the title.
When a full-time temporary appointment is made for one year or less and the end date has been stated explicitly in the offer letter, no reappointment consideration is necessary by the unit.
In the case of a one-year full-time appointment, the chair/director should confirm the appointment terms in a memo to their Dean’s/Chancellor’s Office so the faculty member can be notified. A faculty vote or additional documentation is not required in the letter to the Dean/Chancellor.
Unit Level Actions for Reappointment
- Units may establish criteria for evaluation which may include: yearly activity reports, current vitae, publication list, evidence of teaching effectiveness, copies of published and manuscript material or other creative work, etc.
- A vote on the recommendation by the appropriate unit faculty members.
- Prepare the fully documented recommendation and send it to your Dean’s/Chancellor’s Office. All reappointment/renewal recommendations, whether positive or negative, must be sent to your Dean’s/Chancellor’s Office for processing.
- Dean/Chancellor notifies faculty member in writing of reappointment decisions. Copies of this letter should be sent to the department chair/director.
Normally your Dean’s/Chancellor’s Office will require the following documentation:
- Letter from the chair/director, reporting the following items:
- The unit recommendation, including the term of appointment
- The faculty vote (including: for, against, abstaining, absent, and total number of eligible voters)
- Reasons for the faculty decision
- Chair/Director’s independent recommendation
- An assessment of the candidate’s research, teaching (if applicable), and service; or a brief analysis of the character and quality of functions performed in the unit
- Current curriculum vitae
- Yearly activity reports (or similar information)
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (required only for titles that have teaching responsibilities, such as Assistant Professor, Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, etc.). Submit two types of evidence:
- student evaluation of teaching (Educational Assessment forms)
- peer evaluation of teaching
- Report from secondary unit. When the candidate holds a joint appointment in another academic unit, the primary unit initiating the recommendation must ensure that a complete recommendation from the secondary unit (with the faculty vote, chair’s recommendation, and any other pertinent information) is included in the documentation.
Adjunct, Affiliate, & Clinical reappointments. These appointments are annual and should be considered for reappointment each year by the faculty of the unit. Please contact your Dean’s/Chancellor’s Office for required documentation.
Reappointment of Short-Term Faculty
The academic titles listed below are considered short term faculty.
- Research Associate
- Research Associate Trainee
- Visiting Scientist
- Acting Instructor*
- Artist in Residence for two quarters or less*
- Lecturer Part-Time for two quarters or less*
- Teaching Associate for two quarters or less*
- Visiting Lecturer for two quarters or less*
*If these titles are used for more than 2 quarters at 100% they will be considered long term.
Summary of Reappointment Requirements