Funding for Exchange Visitors holding certain appointment titles 

For all appointment titles on the UW Academic Personnel Salary Minimums Schedule, the individual must be 100% FTE and have external and/or UW funding not less than the UW salary minimum. The UW is not required to provide funding for the J-1 Exchange Visitor. Funding sources may also include a U.S. government agency, an international organization, the Exchange Visitor’s government, the Binational Commission of the Exchange Visitor’s country, the Exchange Visitor’s employer or other organization, or any combination of these. Personal or family funds may not be counted towards the UW salary minimum.

Please note that this funding requirement does not apply to the following courtesy title, which does not appear on the UW Academic Personnel Salary Minimums Schedule:

Minimum funding for all Exchange Visitors

For all Exchange Visitors, regardless of title, combined sources of funding must also be sufficient to cover expenses and not less than:

  • J-1 scholar: $2100/month
  • J-2 spouse: $1200/month
  • J-2 child: $600/month per child

Funding for these Exchange Visitors also may not be provided solely by personal or family funds.  Institutional, governmental, business, or agency funding must cover at least 50% of the minimum required funding.

Evidence of funding

Before completing the International Scholar Operations J Visa Request Form, and in accordance with the guidelines listed above, the UW host department must receive, verify, and retain primary-source evidence from all sources of funding showing that it is sufficient for the duration of the appointment. Evidence must be in English and, at a minimum, include the Exchange Visitor’s name, identify the funding source, and list exact amounts in U.S. dollars.