H-1B Petition Fees

The USCIS fee for the H-1B petition is $460. USCIS requires employers to pay an additional $500 Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee when filing “initial” or “change of employer” petitions. (The $500 fee does not apply to H-1B “extension” petitions.) These two fee payments must be separate (not combined-amount) checks.

Premium Processing is an option to expedite the H-1B petition with USCIS. The fee is an additional $1,225, paid by the employing department. This fee must be paid using a separate check from the fees mentioned above.

It is the responsibility of the employing department to pay the USCIS fees listed above on behalf of the beneficiary of the H-1B petition. The department may not be reimbursed by the beneficiary.

To request checks through UW Accounts Payable, follow these steps:

  • To determine allowability of paying immigration and visa fees through federal grants, contact Grant and Contract Accounting at GCAhelp@uw.edu.
  • Prepare a separate Check Request Forms 1570 for each fee check and allow two weeks for processing
  • On line 1 of the 1570 enter “US Department of Homeland Security”
  • On line 2 enter “H-1B fees”
  • Use “object code” 03-29
  • Use the H-1B beneficiary’s last name and first name as the invoice number
  • Send completed check requests to Accounts Payable, Manual Payments Team, Box 354967
  • Forward the checks to International Scholars Operations (ISO) along with the other supporting documentation

ISO will send the checks with the H-1B petition and supporting documents to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). DO NOT send the checks directly to USCIS.

In addition to the fees listed above, departments are charged a processing fee of $213, payable by cost transfer invoice (CTI), for each H-1B petition. Federal and non-federal budgets may be used to pay the processing fee (subject to the terms and conditions of the grant sponsor). Departments may not seek reimbursement of the processing fee from the H-1B beneficiary. CTI budget documentation will be sent to the Budget Contact listed on the UW H Visa Request Form.