The University of Washington encourages prompt resolution of complaints about the behavior of its employees, as referenced in UW Administrative Policy Statement (APS) 46.3. Employees may seek resolution assistance regarding behaviors that include but are not restricted to:

  • Harassing, discriminatory or threatening behavior
  • Violation of University policy
  • Mistreatment of members of the public

Determining How to Pursue Your Complaint

Think about your goals for resolving your complaint:

  • If you are comfortable discussing the complaint or concern with your chair/director, unit administrator, and/or representative from the dean/chancellor’s office, report your complaint to one of these individuals.
  • If you are interested in mediation or conciliation, explore your concerns with the Office of the Ombud. Mediation or conciliation involves meeting with the person whose conduct is in question and attempting to resolve the complaint or concern with assistance from the Ombud.
  • Contact the University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office (UCIRO) if you think you have been the victim of illegal harassment or discrimination.
  • If you have concerns about situations that could become violent, contact Safe Campus at 206-685-SAFE.
  • If you or your department have any questions, please contact Academic HR for assistance.

Local Resolution

The goal of local resolution is to address and resolve problems as quickly and directly as possible, and to stop inappropriate behavior. Local resolution generally involves a discussion of the faculty members’ concerns with the chair/director, unit administrator, or a representative from the dean/chancellor’s office. These are generally the people closest to the issue and  able to most quickly take corrective measures. Local resolution may include a fact-finding investigation, the results of which will be reviewed with the individual raising the concern.

Additional Resources