Review the checklist, confirm that the UW H Visa Request Form and all supporting documentation contain consistent information (e.g., appointment title, proposed dates of H-1B sponsorship, and salary), and forward as one complete packet to International Scholar Operations (ISO) by one of the following methods:

  • By campus mail to campus mailbox 351245
  • As one complete PDF by replying to the email sent with the approved visa request
  • As one complete PDF uploaded to the visa request using the “Manage Files” function

With the exception of the employer’s letter, all documentation should be legible, single-sided photocopies of original documents on 8.5″ x 11″ paper. Original (“wet”) signatures are not required except as specified below. Avoid the use of staples.

Download a printable version of the H-1B Visa Request Checklist.

Required Documents For All Petitions

For all petitions, please include the following:

  • A conditionally approved and signed H Visa Request form (see our Visa Request Instructions page).
  • Complete and print the Prevailing Wage Intake Form. (This form is not necessary for members of the UW Housestaff Association or the UW UAW-Postdocs.)
  • Complete, print and obtain signatures on the Actual Wage Memorandum.
  • $460 check payable to “US Department of Homeland Security.” It is the responsibility of the hiring department to pay the fees on behalf of the foreign beneficiary.
  • Employer’s Letter to US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Use this template for new petitions or changes of employer; use this template for extensions or changes of title. The letter on departmental letterhead, signed by the Chair, describes the services to be performed, minimum qualifications necessary to perform the duties and how the beneficiary meets those qualifications, proposed dates of H-1B employment, and salary.
  • Copy of offer letter to the beneficiary (or Resident Position Agreement) describing the terms and duration of the employment.
  • If the beneficiary will work at more than one location, include an attachment listing the dates and address of each location where work will be performed. If any work will be performed at a site that is not managed by UW (e.g., a medical institution that is not UW/Harborview/Northwest Hospital), include a program Letter of Agreement (PLA) or other agreement authorizing UW employees to perform duties at the other work locations(s).
  • Evidence that the beneficiary holds the degree required for the job. Provide the beneficiary’s transcripts along with the diploma. If transcripts are unavailable, please explain why.
  • Foreign language documents must include full English translations, certified by the translator as complete and correct.
  • For degrees from foreign universities, the beneficiary should obtain a foreign educational equivalency evaluation by a recognized credentials evaluation service.
  • Up-to-date curriculum vitae or resume
  • For appointments at the Assistant Professor and Research Assistant Professor level and above, include a photocopy the published advertisement for the job.
  • For graduates of foreign medical schools (including Canadian medical schools) who will engage in patient care, copies of USMLE step 1, 2 and 3 exam results.
  • US professional license, if required for the job.
  • Passport page showing biographical data and expiration date.
  • Passport page showing most recent U.S. visa stamp if currently in the US.
  • Current and any prior H-1B I-797 Approval Notices, if the beneficiary has ever held H-1B status
  • If beneficiary is currently in J-1 or J-2 status, or has ever held J-1 or J-2 status, include:
    • Current and any prior DS-2019s and/or IAP-66s, if the beneficiary has ever held J-1 or J-2 status.
    • USCIS approval of waiver foreign residence requirement (applicable only if the beneficiary ever held J-1 or J-2 status and requested and received the waiver).
    • Current and any prior Employment Authorization Documents, if any.
  • A completed, signed Maintenance of Status/I-94 Consent form AND the I-94 record received upon last entry to the US, if currently in the US.

Return to top

Additional Required Documents For New and Change of Employer (“Transfer”) Petitions

For petitions where the beneficiary is currently outside the US, in the US in a nonimmigrant status other than H-1B, or in the US in H-1B status with another employer, please include the following in addition to all materials listed above:

  • $500 Fraud Prevention Fee check payable to “US Department of Homeland Security.” It is the responsibility of the hiring department to pay the fees on behalf of the foreign beneficiary.
  • If beneficiary is currently in H-1B status with another employer, include:
    • Most recent pay stubs or similar salary record
  • If beneficiary is currently in F-1 status, include:
    • Current and prior I-20s
    • Current and prior Employment Authorization Documents, if any
  • If beneficiary is currently in H-4 status, include:
    • Marriage certificate, with English translation
    • Spouse’s most recent I-94 record
    • Spouse’s current and any prior I-797 Approval Notices
    • Spouse’s most-recent pay stub or other proof of current employment
  • If beneficiary is currently in another nonimmigrant or immigrant status, please contact ISO to determine what evidence you should submit.

Return to top

Dependent Filings

Dependents in the US changing to or extending H-4 status complete Form I-539. ISO will file this application concurrently with the H-1B petition as a courtesy, but cannot complete it or provide specific legal advice related to it. The I-539 should be completed in the name of the principal dependent, not the H-1B. Children under 14 years of age should have a parent sign Part 5 of the I-539 using the following language: PARENT NAME on behalf of minor CHILD NAME.

In addition to the completed I-539 with original signature and $370 check payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security, include the following documents for each dependent:

  • A completed Form I-539A with original signature for each additional dependent.
  • Proof of relationship to the H-1B employee (marriage certificate for spouse and birth certificates for children).
  • Copies of passport pages showing biographical data and expiration date and US visa stamp.
  • Copy of dependent’s most recent I-94 record.
  • Any I-20s, DS-2019s, I-797 Approval Notices, Employment Authorization Documents, or other documentation of current nonimmigrant status (if applicable).

Return to top