Gather the relevant materials below and follow the outlined steps.

  • Review this page (Printable checklist)
  • Confirm that the UW H Visa Request Form and all supporting documentation contain consistent information (e.g., appointment title, proposed dates of H-1B sponsorship, and salary)
  • Return as one complete packet to International Scholars Operations (ISO) by one of the following methods:
    • By campus mail to campus mailbox 351245
    • As one complete PDF by replying to the email sent with the approved visa request
    • As one complete PDF uploaded to the visa request using the “Manage Files” function

With the exception of the employer’s letter, all documentation must be legible, single-sided photocopies of original documents on 8.5″ x 11″ paper. Original (wet) signatures are not required except as specified below. Do not use staples.

Documents Needed for All Requests

  • A conditionally approved and signed H Visa Request Form (see our How to Sponsor page)
  • Complete and print the Prevailing Wage Intake Form. (This form is not necessary for members of the Resident and Fellow Physician Union-Northwest or the UW UAW-Postdocs.)
  • Complete, print and obtain signatures on the Actual Wage Memorandum
  • $460 check payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
    • It is the responsibility of the hiring department to pay the fees on behalf of the foreign beneficiary
  • Employer’s letter on departmental letterhead to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which includes all elements outlined in the linked template
  • Copies of all offer or reappointment letters to the beneficiary (or Resident and Fellow Position Agreement) describing the terms and duration of the employment
  • If the beneficiary will work at more than one location, include an attachment listing the dates and address of each location where work will be performed
    • If any work will be performed at a site that is not managed by UW (e.g., a medical institution that is not UW/Harborview/Northwest Hospital), include a Program Letter of Agreement (PLA) or other agreement authorizing UW employees to perform duties at the other work locations(s)
  • Evidence that the beneficiary holds the degree required for the job
    • Beneficiary’s transcripts (If transcripts are unavailable, please explain why.)
    • Official diploma
    • Foreign language documents must include full English translations, certified by the translator as complete and correct
    • For degrees from foreign universities, the beneficiary should obtain a foreign educational equivalency evaluation by a recognized credentials evaluation service
  • Up-to-date curriculum vitae or resume
  • For appointments in a competitively-recruited professorial title, include a photocopy of the published advertisement for the job
  • For graduates of foreign medical schools (including Canadian medical schools) who will engage in patient care, copies of U.S. Medical Licensing Exam step 1, 2 and 3 exam results
  • If required for the job, U.S. professional license
  • Passport page showing biographical data and expiration date
  • If currently in the U.S.:
  • If the beneficiary has ever held H-1B status, current and any prior H-1B I-797 Approval Notices
  • If beneficiary is currently in J-1 or J-2 status, or has ever held J-1 or J-2 status, include:
    • Current and any prior DS-2019s and/or IAP-66s
    • USCIS approval of waiver of foreign residence requirement
      • Applicable only if the beneficiary ever held J-1 or J-2 status and requested and received the waiver
    • Current and any prior Employment Authorization Documents (EAD), if any

Additional Required Documents For New and Change of Employer (Transfer) Petitions

For petitions where:

  • The beneficiary is currently outside the U.S., or
  • The beneficiary is in the U.S. in a nonimmigrant status other than H-1B, or in H-1B status with another employer

include the following in addition to all materials listed above:

  • $500 Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee check payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”
    • It is the responsibility of the hiring department to pay the fees on behalf of the foreign beneficiary.
  • If beneficiary is currently in H-1B status with another employer, most recent pay stubs or similar salary record
  • If beneficiary is currently in F-1 status, include:
    • Current and prior I-20s
    • Current and prior EADs, if any
  • If beneficiary is currently in H-4 status, include:
    • Marriage certificate, with English translation
    • Spouse’s most recent I-94 Record
    • Spouse’s current and any prior I-797 Approval Notices
    • Spouse’s most-recent pay stub or other proof of current employment
  • If beneficiary is currently in another nonimmigrant or immigrant status, contact ISO to determine what evidence you must submit.

Dependent Filings for H-4 Status

Dependents in the U.S. changing to or extending H-4 status complete Form I-539. ISO will file this application concurrently with the H-1B petition as a courtesy, but cannot complete it or provide specific legal advice related to it. The I-539 should be completed in the name of the principal dependent, not the H-1B.

Children under 14 years of age should have a parent sign Part 6 of the I-539 using the following language: PARENT NAME on behalf of minor CHILD NAME.

In addition to the completed I-539 with original signature and $470 check payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”, include the following documents for each dependent:

  • A completed Form I-539A with original signature for each additional dependent
  • Proof of relationship to the H-1B employee (marriage certificate for spouse and birth certificates for children)
  • Copies of passport pages showing biographical data and expiration date and U.S. visa stamp
  • Copy of dependent’s most recent I-94 Record
  • Any I-20s, DS-2019s, I-797 Approval Notices, EADs, or other documentation of current nonimmigrant status, if applicable