Unlike the H-1B, the E-3 does not require adjudication from US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) prior to the beneficiary applying for a visa at a U.S. consulate. USCIS involvement is required only when the beneficiary is in the U.S. and applying for a change of status to, or an extension of, E-3 status. Unless extending or changing status to E-3, the beneficiary should apply in person at a U.S. consulate for an E-3 visa by presenting Form ETA 9035 Labor Condition Application (LCA) issued by the University of Washington. Departments may begin the E-3 process up to 6 months in advance of the employment start date.

UW will sponsor E-3 status only for individuals eligible for H-1B sponsorship. Though the E-3 may occasionally be a useful alternative to the H-1B, the H-1B is often the better option. Before agreeing to sponsor a foreign national for E-3 status, please email acadvisa@uw.edu to discuss.

How to Submit a Visa Request for an E-3 Petition (New or Extension)
What You Will Receive
  • Copies of the Form ETA 9035 Labor Condition Application and additional instructions will be forwarded to both the hiring department and E-3 beneficiary.
  • If a change of status or extension petition is filed, you will receive a USCIS Receipt Notice (Form I-797). The Receipt Notice provides a file number which can be used to track the petition’s progress on the USCIS website.  You will also receive a USCIS I-797 Approval Notice which should be forwarded to the E-3 beneficiary.
Applicable Fees

Departments are charged a processing fee of $300 for each E-3. Departments will not be reimbursed for the processing fee from the E-3 beneficiary. Budget documentation will be sent to the Budget Contact listed on the UW H Visa Request Form. The processing fee is in addition to fee(s) paid to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Note: Federal and non-federal budgets may be used to pay for the E-3 processing fee.

If the USCIS Form I-129 is filed to extend or change to E-3 status, the fee is $460 payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The hiring department is responsible for the fees on behalf of the foreign beneficiary. Follow these instructions from UW Procurement Services to create a non-PO invoice for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.