The University of Washington, in accordance with Washington state law, allows full-time leave, intermittent leave, or a reduced work schedule for employees who are either victims or family members of victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking. Leave may be granted for, among other reasons, attending to any legal or law enforcement needs, medical treatment, social-services assistance, mental health counseling or safety-related needs.

The University may require verification of domestic violence. If required, documentation must be provided in a timely manner. Verification can be one or more of the following:

  • A police report
  • Court documents
  • Written statement from an advocate, attorney, member of the clergy or a medical or other professional
  • Your written statement

Family relationship verification may be a statement from you, a birth certificate, court document, or other similar documentation.

How to Apply

Fill out the Domestic Violence Leave Certification Form and return directly to


The UW SafeCampus website provides information on violence prevention, links to resources, and information on how to report and get assistance with violent or potentially violent situations.