J-1 Exchange Visitors in the “professor,” “research scholar” and “short-term scholar” categories may receive compensation for the employment stated in item 5 of the DS-2019. Additionally, occasional lectures or short-term consultations that involve wages or other remuneration may be authorized by International Scholars Operations (ISO) on a case-by-case basis. The occasional lectures or consultations must be authorized in advance and in writing. The off-campus activity must be directly related to the objectives of the Exchange Visitor’s program, be incidental to the Exchange Visitor’s primary program activities, and not delay the completion date of the program.

To request authorization to engage in occasional lectures or short-term consultations involving wages or other remuneration, the Exchange Visitor must present to ISO:

  • A letter from the representative of the institution, agency or employer where the services will be performed, setting forth the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult, including the duration, number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation, and description of the activity.
  • A letter of recommendation from the Exchange Visitor’s UW academic department explaining how the proposed activity would enhance the Exchange Visitor’s program, and confirming that the proposed activity is incidental to and will not delay the completion of the program.
  • Request for Approval of Outside Professional Work for Compensation. Unless the Exchange Visitor is seeking only reimbursement of travel expenses, complete this form even though Section 5 (“exclusions from the policy governing outside professional work”) implies it may not be required. Send the original of the completed and signed form to Office of Research and a copy to ISO.

If approved, ISO will provide the Exchange Visitor with written authorization to participate in the activity, and will also document the new activity in SEVIS (a government database).