Medical practice and clinical training

In addition to meeting the UW criteria for H-1B sponsorship, graduates of foreign medical schools (including graduates of Canadian medical schools) must meet the following requirements to qualify for H-1B status in order to practice medicine or undertake clinical training in a residency or fellowship in the US. Documentation must be included in the H-1B petition.

  1. You must have passed the Federation Licensing Examination (FLEX) or an “equivalent examination.” Only two exams are equivalent to the FLEX for H-1B purposes:
  2. You must show competency in oral and written English by passing an English proficiency examination acceptable to the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Currently, ECFMG accepts and evaluates the scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
  3. You must have a license issued by the state in which the Foreign Medical Graduate will practice medicine or receive graduate medical education or training.

Foreign graduates of US medical schools are exempt from items 1 and 2 since they are not considered Foreign Medical Graduates. Graduates of foreign medical schools who will perform non-clinical research activities and will not engage in patient care are exempt from items 1, 2 and 3.