The University of Washington provides various leave opportunities to accommodate many personal and professional situations. This section provides an overview of leaves offered to faculty, librarians, senior fellows and academic staff*, as well as information intended to assist in the administration of these leaves. If you have any questions regarding content on this site please contact your Academic HR Specialist for assistance.


Personal Leave

Forms to be completed by employee and certified by healthcare provider(HCP)
Family member’s serious health condition
Fitness for duty certification
Maternity-related disability
Military family leave – serious injury or illness of service member
Military caregiver leave – serious injury or illness of a veteran
Parental leave for parent other than birth mother
Personal serious health condition

Forms to be completed by employee (verification documents required; HCP certification not required)
Domestic violence-related leave
Military family leave – qualifying exigency
Leave without pay 

Note: To request a leave without pay for personal reasons or a military duty leave under USERRA, contact your local unit administrator.

Professional Leave

Forms to be completed by employee and submitted to local department (not AHR)
Sabbatical leave-faculty (formerly known as paid professional leave)
Sabbatical leave-librarians

Other Leave Information

Faculty, librarians, academic staff and senior fellows who are injured in the course of University employment may file for Workers’ Compensation benefits.

For information on the process, please refer to the Office of Risk Management.

A faculty member who faces a major life event that may interrupt teaching or scholarship may be eligible to have a year waived on their tenure clock.


The majority of academic personnel at the UW are not eligible to receive or accrue vacation unless otherwise represented by a collective bargaining unit. If the academic personnel employee is represented by a collective bargaining unit please refer to the relevant agreement for guidance and details.

Additional Resources

*Academic staff include full- and regular part-time extension lecturers in the International & English Language Programs who are eligible for leaves in accordance with their collective bargaining agreement.