The University of Washington provides various leave opportunities to accommodate many personal and professional situations. Below is a brief summary of the leaves offered to faculty, senior fellows, and academic staff.

Types of Leave


Family Care Leave

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Paid Sick Leave

Paid Professional Leave

Military Leave

Leave Without Pay


The University has adopted a broader, more inclusive definition of family member than the definition provided by applicable state and federal leave laws. The University’s definition is:

  • Family member means the employee’s spouse or same or opposite sex domestic partner; child; parent; grandparent; grandchild; sister; or brother. Family member also includes individuals in the following relationships with the employee’s spouse or domestic partner: child, parent, or grandparent. It also includes those persons in a “step” or “half” relationship.
  • son or daughter means a biological, adopted, or foster child, a step child, a legal ward, or any other child under 18 years of age for whom the employee acts as parent.
  • Child also includes children above age 18 who are incapable of self-care because of a mental or physical disability.
  • serious health condition means an illness, injury, or impairment, or a physical or mental condition that requires inpatient care or continuing treatment by a health care provider.

Other Leave Information

Faculty, librarians, senior fellows and academic staff who are injured in the course of University employment may file for Workers’ Compensation benefits. 

For information on the process, please refer to the Office of Risk ManagementA faculty member who faces a major life event that may interrupt teaching or scholarship may be eligible to have a year waived on their tenure clock.

Additional Resources