How to Sponsor a TN
How to Sponsor a TN Professional Worker
- Provide a letter to the beneficiary addressed to the Department of Homeland Security which states the specific TN-approved profession in which the TN beneficiary will be working, a detailed summary of the job responsibilities, including a percentage breakdown of the job’s various tasks, salary, and anticipated length of stay (up to three years). The letter should state the minimum degree and experience requirements for the job and describe how the beneficiary is qualified to perform the job.
- After the TN has arrived on campus, collect the necessary documentation to complete the I-9 employment eligibility verification form.
Instructions for the TN Beneficiary
- Consult the TN Reference Guide for details about admission to the US in TN status.
- Apply for TN visa at consulate (Mexican citizens only).
- Enter the US in TN status no more than 10 days prior to the employment start date indicated in the employer’s letter.
- Be sure to enter the US in TN status, rather than as a visitor or in some other non-immigrant status.
- Pay the $56 TN fee in US funds. (Canadian citizens only)
- The US immigration officer issues a Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. If the beneficiary enters the U.S. at a border crossing, a paper I-94 card will be stapled in the passport. However, if the beneficiary enters the US at an air or sea port, the immigration officer will only place an entry stamp in the passport; the beneficiary must then access the electronic I-94 record online at the Customs and Border Protection website. The I-94 record must indicate “TN” status and reflect the validity dates requested in the employer’s letter (up to three years), the TN occupation, and the employer’s name. The I-94 record is evidence of the eligibility to work in the US. and will be used by the department to complete the I-9 employment eligibility verification form. The beneficiary should retain the I-94 and present it as evidence of TN status when re-entering the U.S. from Canada or Mexico during the period of authorized stay.
International Scholars Operations (ISO) is generally not involved with the initial sponsorship of a TN beneficiary. Instead, the hiring UW department provides all documentation necessary for the beneficiary to enter the US to begin TN status.
Contact ISO if you have questions.