Paid Sick Leave

Faculty, senior fellows/trainees, and academic staff are generally eligible to use up to 90 calendar days of paid sick leave each academic year. Please speak with your unit administrator if you have questions about your eligibility for paid sick leave. The use of paid sick leave requires a health care provider’s certification.  Paid sick leave is usually taken at the same time as Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave. If paid sick leave is taken as part of a reduced work schedule, partial days will be counted as full days.


  • If you are on a 9-month service period, you are eligible for paid sick leave during the instructional year (9/16 through 6/15), and during summer quarter (6/16 through 9/15) if scheduled to receive summer salary.
  • If you are on a 12-month service period (7/1 through 6/30), you are eligible year-round while in active paid status.
  • Paid sick leave may not exceed 90 days during the period July 1 to June 30. If a leave begins prior to July 1 and crosses over into another academic year, the paid sick leave shall not exceed 90 days with respect to the illness or disability for which such leave was granted.

Paid sick leave covers:

  • Your own serious health condition as defined by the FMLA.
  • Temporary disability due to your pregnancy, childbirth, or recovery therefrom.
  • To care for a family member with a serious health condition as defined by the Family Care Act.

To request paid sick leave:

  1. Notify your unit that you plan to take a leave.
  2. Choose the appropriate leave certification form based on your reason for leave.
  3. Complete Section 1 of the leave certification form.
  4. Have your healthcare provider complete section 2 of the form.
  5. You or your healthcare provider submits the form to Academic Human Resources (AHR).
  6. AHR will notify you and your unit of your eligibility for paid sick leave.

Adoption and foster care

FMLA-covered leave for the placement or adoption of a child may not qualify for paid sick leave.  If your newly placed or adopted child has a serious health condition, you may be eligible to take paid sick leave for the period of time authorized by a healthcare provider, up to 90 days.

Parental leave for parent other than birth parent

Paid sick leave may only be used for the period of time prescribed by a healthcare provider to care for your newborn with a serious health condition, or to care for your spouse/partner during her period of incapacity due to pregnancy or childbirth.


The University continues to pay the employer portion of health benefits coverage during an approved sick leave. You are responsible for any insurance co-payments, extra premiums to cover family members, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, parking fees, or other payroll deductions.

If your leave extends beyond the period covered by paid sick leave, contact the benefits office to confirm your eligibility for benefits continuation.

Return to Work

If you return early from sick leave, you may be asked to submit a new healthcare provider statement authorizing your return to work.

Additional Resources