Faculty are eligible to use up to 90 calendar days of paid sick leave each academic year. The faculty member must complete a sick leave request form and provide accompanying health care provider’s information. Faculty sick leave is not accruable.
- Faculty who are on a 9 month service period are entitled to this coverage during contracted teaching periods. (Eligible summer if contracted to teach.)
- Faculty who are on a 12 month service period are eligible year round while in an active paid status.
- Faculty sick leave salary continuation may not exceed 90 days during the period July 1 to June 30, except that a leave begun prior to July 1 that continues beyond that date shall not exceed 90 days with respect to the illness or disability for which such leave was granted.
Faculty Sick Leave covers:
- A faculty member’s serious health condition
- Temporary disability of a faculty member due to pregnancy, childbirth, or recovery therefrom.
- To care for a child of the faculty member under the age of 18 with a health condition that requires treatment or supervision
Any woman who gives birth while holding a faculty appointment at the University of Washington is covered under the University’s sick leave policy. She is eligible for up to 90 days leave with salary continued during that period for which she would normally be on the payroll. Sick leave coverage begins from the date of childbirth or from an earlier date if recommended by a health care provider. As with other medical leaves, the faculty member must present written certification from a health care provider that she cannot work as a result of the pregnancy, childbirth, and/or recovery. Paid sick leave is not available for adoptive mothers. Paid sick leave may be used for long term care of an ill child.
During faculty sick leave, the University pays the employer-paid portion of health benefits coverage for up to 90 days. The employee is responsible for any insurance co-payments, extra premiums to cover family members, life insurance, long term disability insurance, parking fees, or other payroll deductions.
For employees whose need for a leave extends beyond the sick leave-covered period, employer paid health benefits coverage may be continued as long as the employee is working a minimum of 5% FTE.
A health care provider return to work certification may be requested prior to a faculty member’s return from sick leave.
The faculty member must complete a sick leave request form and provide accompanying health care provider certification as soon as reasonably possible after the onset of the need for sick leave.