Family Care Leave

Under the Washington State Family Care Act (FCA), you are entitled to use your choice of available paid sick leave or other paid time for which you are eligible to care for a family member who has a serious health condition. You may also choose to take unpaid family care leave. Family member means your spouse or same or opposite sex domestic partner, child, parent or person who acted as your parent, grandparent, grandchild, sister, or brother. Family member also means individuals in the following relationships with your spouse or domestic partner: child, parent, or grandparent. It also includes persons with whom you have a “step” relationship. Paid Sick Leave and Family Care Leave provide pay for up to 90 days. When taken, it usually runs concurrently with FMLA leave.

To request Family Care Act leave:

  1. Notify your unit that you plan to take a leave.
  2. Complete Section 1 of the Leave Certification for Family Member’s Serious Health Condition form.
  3. Have your family member’s healthcare provider complete Section 2 of the form.
  4. You or the healthcare provider submit the form to Academic Human Resources (AHR).
  5. AHR will notify you and your unit of your eligibility for leave.

Additional Resources