Search and Hire Overview
The following are general steps involved in hiring faculty at the University of Washington. Detailed procedures are determined at the local level.
- Tenured, tenure-track, and WOT appointments may be initiated in accordance with each school or college’s annual hiring plan approved by the Provost.
- The unit clarifies its hiring aims for each position (e.g., specialty, approach), and the chair/director or dean/chancellor appoints a hiring committee.
- The unit follows the procedures outlined in the Faculty Advertisement Guide to post a position using the online Advertisement Template.
- Academic Human Resources (AHR) ensures the advertisement meets all Ad Guide criteria before posting.
- The search committee receives applications, conducts interviews, collects Affirmative Action data, identifies finalists and makes a hiring recommendation to the dean/chancellor.
- Eligible faculty vote on the appointment.
- The dean/chancellor reviews and approves the offer.
- Once the offer is accepted, the unit administrator populates online Applicant Flow Report.
- The unit prepares an appointment packet following documentation requirements outlined in the appropriate job class code, and forwards to their assigned AHR Specialist for review.
- AHR prepares the appointment materials for the Board of Regents or Provost, as appropriate.
- After approval by the Board of Regents, AHR, on behalf of the Provost’s Office, notifies the dean/chancellor and the candidate.
- The unit retains files of all applicants and all associated hiring materials for a minimum of three years. These records may be stored by Records Management.