Family Care Leave
The Washington State Family Care Act (FCA) entitles employees to use their choice of available paid sick leave or other paid time off to care for a family member who has a serious health condition. An employee may choose to take unpaid family care leave instead of paid sick leave. Paid Sick Leave and Family Care Leave provide pay for up to 90 days. When taken, it usually runs concurrently with FMLA leave.
To Request Family Care Act Leave:
- Notify your unit that you plan to take a leave.
- Complete Section 1 of the Leave Certification for Family Member’s Serious Health Condition form.
- Have your family member’s healthcare provider complete Section 2 of the form.
- You or the healthcare provider submit the form to Academic Human Resources (AHR).
- AHR will notify you and your unit of your eligibility for leave.
- The unit processes the leave as S/L for paid sick leave or LWO for unpaid leave.
- Leave Certification for Family Member’s Serious Health Condition Form
- Leave Comparison Chart
- Child Care Services
- Eldercare Services