- Title: Research Associate Professor
- Job Class Code: 0142
- Service Period: 12 months
- Appointment Criteria: Must be appointed at a minimum of 50% FTE. Appointment with the rank of Research Associate Professor requires qualifications corresponding to those of an Associate Professor but with primary emphasis on research. (Faculty Code Section 24-34B-4)
- Duration of Appointment: One to five year terms, renewable indefinitely
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: Eligible with 50% or more appointment. (Faculty Code Section 21-32A)
- Earn types: REG, PDR, WOS, LWO, S/L, TPS, ADS, ENS, E/C, MLP
- Salary Floors: Must meet University minimum.
- Full Time/Part-time: Both. Minimum appointment is 50% FTE. The percentage of appointment must be clearly documented at the time of hire.
- Eligible for Promotion: Yes
- Competitive Recruitment Required: Yes
New Appointment Details
- Educational Requirements:must have terminal degree in an applicable field
- Documentation Required:
- Dean/Chancellor’s letter to President recommending appointment should include:
- Start date
- Service period (12 months)
- Full time rate of pay
- Appointment FTE
- Chair/Director’s letter to Dean/Chancellor recommending appointment must include:
- Offer letter
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW Biography Form
- Academic Human Resources Ad Approval Notice
- Copy of online job advertisement from the Chronicle of Higher Education or applicable print journal
- Applicant Flow Confirmation Page
- Visa documents, if applicable
- Background Check documents, if applicable
- Email approval from Academic Human Resources must be received by the hiring unit prior to entering the appointment in OPUS. This email approval must be included in the notes section of the PERM
- Promotion to the Professor level is not a function of time in rank nor length of service. Every faculty member below the rank of Professor shall be informed of the opportunity to be considered for promotion (Faculty Code Section 24-54).
- Research faculty promotions must meet all criteria and procedures that apply to regular faculty promotion, except evaluation of teaching. If promotion is recommended in the last year of a Research Associate Professor’s appointment, a reappointment recommendation should be submitted in addition to a separate promotion recommendation.
- The reappointment decision must be made in the last year of appointment, six months (or in the case of an initial annual appointment, three months) before the appropriate expiration date. (Faculty Code Section 24-41G)
- Reappointment is independent of current or future salary availability.
- There is no limit on the number of reappointments that can be made as Research Associate Professor.
- Emeritus Eligibility: Yes, at the time of retirement. See Research Associate Professor Emeritus.
- A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity. Normally such resignations should be given at least three months. prior to the termination date, or within 15 days of notification of terms of a reappointment, whichever occurs later, and should ordinarily become effective at the end of an academic year. (Faculty Code Section 24.56.A)
- The unit should forward the resignation letter and the Chair/Director/Dean’s letter of acceptance to AHR.
- Termination action needs to be entered in OPUS.