- Title: Principal Lecturer
- Job Class Code: 0180
- Service Period: 9 or 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: Principal Lecturer is an instructional title that may be conferred on persons whose excellence in instruction is recognized through appropriate awards, distinctions, or major contributions to their field (Faculty Code Section 24-34 B).
- Length of Appointment: May be on an annual or multiple year basis (1-5 years).
- Eligible for tenure: No
- Voting Rights: Yes, with a full-time appointment (Faculty Code Section 21-32 A)
- Salary Requirements: Must meet University minimum
- Full-time/Part-time: Both
- Promotable Title: No
- Competitive Recruitment Required: N/A
- Required Approvals: Academic Human Resources (AHR) approval required for appointment entry
New Appointment Details
- Promotional title only, may not appoint initially to this title. This position promotes from Senior Lecturer, Full-time.
- Renewable appointment – A faculty vote is required for reappointment (Faculty Code Section 24-53 A).
- The reappointment decision must be made no later than the last year of appointment. If the decision is made in the final year of the appointment, it must be completed six months before the appointment expiration date. Units must inform the faculty member in writing of the decision (Faculty Code Section 24-41 B).
- Emeritus Eligibility: Yes, see Principal Lecturer Emeritus
- A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity. Normally such resignations should be given at least three months prior to the termination date, or within 15 days of notification of terms of a reappointment, whichever occurs later, and should ordinarily become effective at the end of an academic year (Faculty Code Section 24-56 A).
- The unit should attempt to obtain such a letter (see Faculty Code Section 24-56 B for additional guidance).
- A letter accepting the resignation should be returned to the faculty member.
- Separation action must be processed.