- Title: Affiliate Instructor
- Job Class Code: 0174
- Service Period: 9 or 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: This title is not benefits eligible. Affiliate Instructor appointments are normally given to an individual who holds a primary appointment with an outside agency or non-academic unit at the University.
- Length of Appointment: Annual appointment with indefinite reappointments
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: No
- Allowable Earn Types: C/A, REG, E/C, ECH, TPS
- Salary Requirements: May receive salary, limited to no more than 50% for 6 months or more. If paid, must meet the University minimum.
- Full-time/Part-time: Both
- Promotable: Yes
- Competitive Recruitment Required: No
- Required Approvals: AHR approval not required prior to OPUS entry
New Appointment Details
- Educational/Experience Requirements: Determined at School/College level
- A faculty vote is required
- Documentation Required:
- Dean/Chancellor’s letter, or concurrence on Chair/Director’s letter
- Chair/Director’s letter, including faculty vote
- Letters of recommendation (3 preferred, 1 minimum)
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW Biography Form
- Background Check documents, if applicable
- Promotion for an affiliate appointment is not required. When a unit wishes to recommend promotion, the instructions and deadline dates for promotion to Associate Professor should be followed.
- Affiliate appointments are annual and should be considered for reappointment each year by the faculty of the unit (or undepartmentalized college or school). Please contact your Dean/Chancellor’s Office for required documentation.
- The documentation required to reappoint an Affiliate Instructor is a letter from the Chair/Director, with the Dean/Chancellor’s signed concurrence, including the term of the appointment, the faculty vote (votes for, against, abstaining, absent, and total number of eligible voters), reasons for the faculty decision, and the Chair/Director’s independent recommendation.
- Emeritus Eligibility: No
- When a faculty member decides to resign their Affiliate appointment, a resignation letter should be sent to AHR.
- Separation action needs to be entered in OPUS.