UW Administrators Sponsoring International Scholars

The menu items listed on the left side of this page provide comprehensive information on visa sponsorship procedures and relevant nonimmigrant categories. For additional assistance, please email acadvisa@uw.edu.

The University of Washington has a long tradition of hosting faculty and other academic personnel from around the world. These individuals are collectively referred to as “international scholars.” They engage in a variety of teaching and research activities but are not enrolled at the UW nor are they enrolled students overseas. International scholars hold a UW appointment and generally require a temporary, nonimmigrant visa to enter the U.S.

Campus departments that sponsor international scholars for visas undertake several obligations. These include:

  • assigning the international scholar a UW appointment title that is appropriate for the intended activity,
  • documenting that the scholar is fully qualified to participate in the proposed activity,
  • completing visa sponsorship paperwork (UW J and UW H Visa Request Forms),
  • advising the scholar—before and after he or she arrives in Seattle—of the services and facilities (e.g., housing, insurance, office or lab space) available to him or her, and
  • emailing acadvisa@uw.edu in advance of changes in the scholar’s start or end date, financial support, position title, percent of FTE, worksite location and the like.

For questions about visas, including relevant academic appointments, contact acadvisa@uw.edu.