Family Care Leave Process

The Washington State Family Care Act (FCA) entitles employees to use their choice of available paid sick leave or other paid time off to care for a family member who has a serious health condition. An employee may choose to take unpaid family care leave instead of paid sick leave.

Eligibility and definitions are described on the family care leave page for faculty and academic staff.

Family Care Leave Approval Process

  1. The employee notifies the unit that they plan to take a leave of absence.
  2. The employee and the healthcare provider complete the leave certification form and submit it to Academic Human Resources (AHR).
  3. AHR notifies the unit and the employee of eligibility for paid sick leave.
  4. The unit processes the leave as S/L for paid sick leave or LWO for unpaid leave.

Additional Resources