The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a federal law which provides job protection and benefits coverage to eligible employees. The entitlements, eligibility requirements, and definitions are described on the FMLA page for faculty and academic staff.
FMLA Leave Approval Process
- The employee notifies the unit of the need for leave.
- The employee completes Section 1 of the appropriate leave certification form.
- The employee’s healthcare provider completes Section 2 of the leave certification form.
- The employee or their healthcare provider forwards the completed form to Academic Human Resources (AHR)
- AHR reviews the form, determines eligibility and ensures that the requested dates match the dates authorized by the healthcare provider.
- AHR notifies the employee, unit contact, and the benefits office when the leave is ready to process.
- The unit enters the appropriate leave dates in payroll.