TN Status for Canadian and Mexican Employees

The TN classification is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens who seek to enter the U.S. on a temporary basis to work in a professional-level job under provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The procedures for Canadian and Mexican citizens are similar. However, Mexican citizens must apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate prior to entering the U.S. in TN status.

The TN classification may be used by a UW department to employ classified, professional/exempt, and academic staff for part-time or full-time appointments. The position must be a profession included in the NAFTA Professional Job Series List and the beneficiary must hold at least a baccalaureate degree unless an alternative credential is specified. Physicians with patient care responsibilities are ineligible for TN Status. (A visa screen is additionally required for certain healthcare professionals.)

TN status may be requested for up to three years, and may be renewed in three-year increments. Although the regulations do not limit the number of years that the TN may be used, TN is a nonimmigrant status. The beneficiary must establish to the satisfaction of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that the employment opportunity is both temporary and short-term. If the position is an academic appointment eligible for UW sponsored Permanent Residence, the H-1B is a more suitable visa alternative.