- Title: Clinical Professor Emeritus
- Job Class Code: 0195
- Service Period: 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: "The normal criteria for appointment with the emeritus title are at least ten years of prior service as a member of the faculty and achievement of the rank of professor or associate professor. Under certain circumstances the President may grant emeritus status to an administrator at the level of Dean or Vice President, or at other levels if deemed appropriate." See the Chapter 24 of the Faculty Code for further detail. Must be retired from the UW to hold this title.
- Length of Appointment: This is a lifelong appointment
- Eligible for tenure: No
- Voting Rights: No
- Earn types allowed: WOS, TFA, TEC
- Salary Requirements: Salary will remain at rate held on retirement date unless a mandated cost-of-living increase takes place.
- Full-time/Part-time: both
- Promotable title: No
- Competitive Recruitment Required: No
- Required Approvals:
- Unit vote
- AHR approval not required prior to OPUS entry.
New Appointment Details
- Educational Requirements: See Clinical Professor
- A faculty vote is required for short term appointments. The unit faculty, by a majority vote, may delegate authority to the Chair/Director to make short term appointments without a full faculty vote.
- Documentation Required:
- Chairs letter with vote results
- Letter to the Dean/Chancellor with a copy to Academic Human Resources stating the intention to retire.
- Once the copy of the letter is received in Academic Human Resources the retirement can then be entered into OPUS. If a department plans on appointing a faculty member as Emeritus for the following academic year, a vote should be taken during Spring quarter of the current year. The Emeritus title can then be entered on-line. The OPUS entry must include a WOS earn type distribution line.
- Salary Information: Please view our Partial Reemployment Policy for salary information.
- Separation is effective on date of death.
- Appointing unit should coordinate separation action in OPUS with the Benefits Office.