- Title: Associate Professor
- Job Class Code: 0102
- Service Period: 9 or 12 months
- Appointment Criteria: Must be appointed at a minimum of 50% FTE. Appointment to the rank of Associate Professor requires a record of substantial success in both teaching and research. In exceptional cases an outstanding record in one of these activities may be considered sufficient (Faculty Code Section 24.34.A.2)
- Duration of Appointment:Continuous
- Tenure: Yes
- Voting Rights: Yes, with 50% or more appointment. (Faculty Code Section 21.32.A)
- Earn types: REG, SUM, PDR, E/C, LWO, S/L, TPS, ADS, ENS, PLP, MLP
, DPP (School of Dentistry only)
- WOS may only be used for an unpaid joint appointment
- Salary Floors: Must meet University minimum.
- Full-time/Part-time: Both. Minimum appointment is 50% FTE. The percentage of appointment must be clearly documented at the time of hire.
- Eligible for Promotion: Yes
- Competitive Recruitment Required: Yes
New Appointment Details
- Educational Requirements: Must have a terminal degree in applicable field
- Documentation Required:
- Original Dean/Chancellor’s letter to President recommending appointment must include:
- Start date
- Service Period (either 9 or 12 months)
- Full-time rate of pay
- Appointment FTE
- Percentage of tenure
- Original Chair/Director’s letter to Dean/Chancellor recommending appointment must include:
- Original offer letter
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW Biography Form, signed
- Academic Human Resources Ad Approval Notice
- Copy of online job advertisement from the Chronicle of Higher Education or applicable print journal
- Applicant Flow Confirmation Page
- Visa documents, if applicable
- Background Check documents, if applicable
- Email approval from Academic Human Resources must be received by the hiring unit prior to entering the appointment in OPUS. This email approval must be included in the notes section of the PERM
- Promotion to the Professor level is not a function of time in rank nor length of service. Every faculty member below the rank of Professor shall be informed of the opportunity to be considered for promotion (Faculty Code Section 24-54).
- Associate Professors hold continuing appointments with no term limits.
- No annual reappointment process necessary.
- Emeritus Eligibility: Yes, at time of retirement. See Associate Professor Emeritus
- A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity. Normally such resignations should be given at least three months prior to the termination date, or within 15 days of notification of terms of a reappointment, whichever occurs later, and should ordinarily become effective at the end of an academic year. (Faculty Code Section 24.56.A)
- The unit should attempt to obtain such a letter with a statement from the faculty member indicating the name and address of next employer.
- The unit should forward the resignation letter and Chair/Director/Dean’s letter of acceptance to AHR
- Termination action needs to be entered in OPUS.