- Title: Associate Professor without Tenure
- Job Class Code: 0112
- Service Period: 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: Appointment to the rank of Associate Professor requires a record of substantial success in both teaching and research, except that in exceptional cases an outstanding record in one of these activities may be considered sufficient.
- Length of Appointment: No term limits
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: Eligible with 50% or more appointment
- Earn types: REG, PDR, LWO, S/L, TPS, ADS, ENS
- Salary Requirements: Must meet Univeristy minimum.
- Full-time/Part-time: Both. Faculty may be appointed to professorial ranks on less than full-time basis. The percentage of appointment must be clearly documented at the time of hire. The percent of appointment may affect voting rights.
- Promotable: Yes
- Competitive Recruitment Required: Yes
- Additional Information: There are two kinds of appointment to the professorial ranks that are "without tenure" (WOT). The more common is for persons in non-state-funded positions; it is referred to as "without tenure by reason of funding." This title is usually held by persons who concentrate on research activities but also provide instruction. It is not a tenure-track appointment, and if at a later time the person is moved into a state-funded position, a recommendation for approval of tenure must be made by the department and reviewed by the College Council.
New Appointment Details
- Educational Requirements: Must have a terminal degree
- Documentation Required:
- Original Dean/Chancellor’s letter to President recommending appointment should include:
- Start date and service period
- Original Chair/Director’s letter to Dean/Chancellor recommending appointment should include:
- Original offer letter
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW Biography Form, signed
- Academic Human Resources Ad Approval Notice
- Copy of job advertisement
- Applicant Flow Confirmation Page
- Visa documents, if applicable
- Background Check documents, if applicable
- Email approval from Academic Human Resources must be received by the hiring unit prior to entering the appointment in OPUS. This email approval must be included in the notes section of the PERM
- Promotion to the full Professor level is not a function of time in rank nor length of service. Every faculty member below the rank of Professor must be considered each year for possible promotion.
- Associate Professors without Tenure hold continuing appointments with no term limits.
- No annual reappointment process necessary.
- Joint Associate Professor without Tenure appointments must be considered for reappointment annually.
- Emeritus Eligibility: Yes. See Associate Professor Emeritus
- A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity. Normally such resignations should be given at least three months prior to the termination date, or within 15 days of notification of terms of a reappointment, whichever occurs later, and should ordinarily become effective at the end of an academic year.
- The unit should attempt to obtain such a letter with a statement from the faculty member indicating the name and address of next employer.
- Separation action needs to be entered in OPUS.