- Title: Affiliate Professor
- Job Class Code: 0171
- Service Period: 9 or 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: This title is not benefits eligible. Faculty appointed to the title Affiliate Professor must hold the rank of Professor at their home institution or have experience in the field which qualifies them for the professorial rank. If separating from the UW and remaining affiliate, the affiliate rank must match the recent professorial title regardless of rank at the new institution. EX: Associate Professor at UW = Affiliate Associate Professor.
- Length of Appointment: Annual appointment with indefinite reappointments.
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: No
- Allowable Earn Types: C/A, REG, E/C, ECH, TPS
- Salary Requirements: May receive salary, limited to no more than 50% for 6 months or more. If paid, must meet the University minimum for a Professor.
- Full-time/Part-time: Both
- Promotable: No
- Competitive Recruitment Required: No
- Required Approvals: AHR approval not required prior to OPUS entry
New Appointment Details
- Educational/Experience Requirements: Determined at School/College level
- A faculty vote is required for short term appointments. The unit faculty, by a majority vote, may delegate authority to the Chair/Director to make short term appointments without a full faculty vote.
- Documentation Required:
- Dean/Chancellor’s letter, or concurrence on Chair/Director’s letter
- Chair/Director’s letter, including faculty vote
- Letters of recommendation (3 preferred, 1 minimum)
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW Biography Form, signed
- Background Check documents, if applicable
- Affiliate appointments are annual and should be considered for reappointment each year by the faculty of the unit (or undepartmentalized college or school). Please contact your Dean/Chancellor’s Office for required documentation.
- The documentation required to reappoint an Affiliate Professor is a letter from the Chair/Director, with the Dean/Chancellor’s signed concurrence, including the term of the appointment, the faculty vote (votes for, against, abstaining, absent, and total number of eligible voters), reasons for the faculty decision, and the Chair/Director’s independent recommendation.
- Emeritus Eligibility: No
- When a faculty member decides to resign their Affiliate appointment, a resignation letter should be sent to AHR.
- Separation action needs to be entered in OPUS.