- Title: Affiliate Professor
- Service Period: 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: This title is not benefits eligible. Faculty appointed to the title Affiliate Professor must hold the rank of Professor at their home institution or have experience in the field which qualifies them for the professorial rank. If separating from the UW and remaining affiliate, the affiliate rank must match the recent professorial title regardless of rank at the new institution. For example, Professor at UW = Affiliate Professor.
- Length of Appointment: Annual
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: No
- Salary Requirements: May receive salary, limited to less than 50% for 6 months or more. If paid, must meet the University minimum for a Professor.
- Full-time/Part-time: Both
- Promotable: No
- Competitive Recruitment Required: No
New Appointment Details
- Educational/Experience Requirements: Determined at School/College level
- Documentation Required:
- Chair/Director’s letter, including faculty vote
- Letters of recommendation (three preferred, one minimum)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Background Check documents, if applicable*
** Background check documents should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not include background check information in the hire packet.
- Not a promotable title.
- Affiliate appointments are annual and must be considered for reappointment each year by the faculty of the unit. There are no limitations to the number of reappointments that can be made.
- The documentation required to reappoint an Affiliate Professor is a letter from the Chair/Director, with the Dean/Chancellor’s signed concurrence, including the term of the appointment, the faculty vote (votes for, against, abstaining, absent, and total number of eligible voters), reasons for the faculty decision, and the Chair/Director’s independent recommendation.
- Emeritus Eligibility: No
- A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity (Faculty Code Section 24-56A).