- Title: Affiliate Instructor
- Service Period: 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: This title is considered a courtesy appointment and is not intended to be a benefits-eligible position. Affiliate Instructor appointments are normally given to an individual who holds a primary appointment with an outside agency or non-academic unit at the University.
- Length of Appointment: Annual
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: No
- Salary Requirements: If paid, must meet the University minimum. Effort (FTE) should remain below benefits eligibility threshold.
- Full-time/Part-time: Both
- Promotable: Yes
- Competitive Recruitment Required: No
New Appointment Details
- Educational/Experience Requirements: Determined at School/College level
- Documentation Required:
- Chair/Director’s letter, including faculty vote
- Letters of recommendation (three preferred, one minimum)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Background Check documents, if applicable*
** Background check documents should be sent directly to email@example.com. Do not include background check information in the hire packet.
- Promotion for an affiliate appointment is not required. When a unit wishes to recommend promotion, the instructions and deadline dates for promotion to Associate Professor should be followed.
- Affiliate appointments are annual and must be considered for reappointment each year by the faculty of the unit. There are no limitations to the number of reappointments that can be made.
- The documentation required to reappoint an Affiliate Instructor is a letter from the Chair/Director, with the Dean/Chancellor’s signed concurrence, including the term of the appointment, the faculty vote (votes for, against, abstaining, absent, and total number of eligible voters), reasons for the faculty decision, and the Chair/Director’s independent recommendation.
- Emeritus Eligibility: No
- A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity (Faculty Code Section 24-56A).